Tuesday, February 8, 2011

ATHLETE PROFILE: Gipper Finau

By admin on Friday, 5th February 2010

gipper


“I hit the golf ball farther than my older brother Tony.” You’ll never be able to convince Gipper Finau otherwise, and he may be correct, once driving a par 5 that measured over 500 yards. The younger of the two brothers, he was the first to excel in golf. At the age of six, he won his second event playing against 10, 11 and 12-year-olds. Eventually, the two brothers were among the top ranked amateurs in the country in their age divisions.Hometown: Rose Park, Utah
Home Golf Course: Thanksgiving Point Golf Club, Lehi, Utah
Birthday: 8/19/90
Interests: Basketball and Tennis
Family: Single
In 2006, at 16, he became the youngest player to make the cut in a Nationwide Tour event. After the tournament he said, “hopefully I’ll get my driver’s license soon.” The following year, while still 16, he turned professional to compete in The Ultimate Game at Wynn Las Vegas.
The brothers are very close and spend much of their time at David Leadbetter’s Academy, due to their mutual sponsorship through Callaway Golf. Leadbetter’s range looks like a who’s who of the LPGA Tour, PGA TOUR and Champions Tour, and both Tony and Gipper have played many rounds of golf with Greg Norman, Nick Price, Charles Howell and Andy Bean, who the boys call their favorite.
Q: Did you ever consider playing college golf or was your mind set to turn pro?
Growing up, I only had my eye on going pro. I wasn’t looking forward to doing your “average Joe” stuff where you go to college and play for a couple of years before turning pro. I felt like this is what I wanted to do. The time felt right, so my brother and I turned pro early because we just wanted to get out there and do what we want to do.
Q: How rewarding is it to be making this journey with your brother?
It is, especially playing in Big Break. I wouldn’t be as far as I am without him and hopefully it is the same for him. Everyday we push each other and I think we make each other better. That is why we have gotten better, faster. One day I’m down and he’s up. We are always keeping each other on a steady mark and moving.
Q: Will you be more worried about yourself or your brother in the series?
There are 12 guys, but our chances are double since there are two of us. It is going to be nerve-wracking. They tell you to avoid going through the elimination round and try to keep yourself in the game. We have seen previous series, and it seems like simple shots, but there has to be something to it. Maybe it is the pressure or maybe the pressure of going home scares you. So Tony and I had a chat, and we decided to make it one shot at a time and let’s just see what happens.
Q: Sparing the technical aspect of your swing, where does your power come from?
Growing up, my dad didn’t know anything about golf, so when I wanted to get into it, he looked into it. It was better because my dad didn’t know much about golf and that created a “sky’s the limit” attitude. Tony and I went out and didn’t have any expectations; we were thinking every day that we could play anyone and nothing was impossible on the golf course.
So growing up, my dad let us chip for two years to get the feeling of the wrists. When he gave us a driver, we had held off for two years so we just started ripping it. I would go out with my dad’s buddies. They would hit it really far, and I would try to hit it farther than them. So it was out of control until we got used to it, and then we started to control our swing. By the age of 12, we found that we had the downswing to this game, but now we needed to control our feet, because our feet were out of control.
Now our swings still have the speed but definitely have control. I think that’s what helped us because while growing up, it was kind of an ego thing. Tony pushed me to be longer. He would hit a drive and tell me he was longer, and I would say, “No, I’m longer.” We would try to be longer than each other each year. When we were at our max, we averaged 350 yards, which is scary.
Q: What is the story behind driving a par 5?
It was a links-type course with no trees, kind of like St. Andrews where the ball just rolls. The hole was about 565 yards, and we were sitting on the tee talking about if we could hit it that far. So I looked at my brother, and I was like, “let’s have a long drive contest.” I teed off first and took the biggest swing that I could and just ripped it. I felt like I was eight again. I told my brother that if you drive it longer than me, I will admit to anyone that you are the longest one in the world. Then he rips one, and when we get to the green there was a guy waiting for us. I had hit the guy on the leg. He was laughing and said he wanted to wait to see who hit it that far. I felt sorry for hitting him, but he said he was sorry, because he stopped it from going a little farther. Tony was about 20 yards behind me. I won the contest, and it was a pretty rare opportunity to putt for double eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment