Monday, March 12, 2012

H-Files: A Student-Athlete Spotlight On Mita Uiato

HawaiiAthletics.com introduces a weekly series "H-Files," which spotlights a student-athlete of the week. Each week we catch up with a different student-athlete from one of UH's 21 intercollegiate sports. Sophomore setter Mita Uiato from the Rainbow Wahine volleyball team is this week's student-athlete of the week.


This being your second year with the team, what are the biggest differences between last year as a freshman and this year?

Well, obviously I had Dani Mafua as the lead setter and I had her as a role model and I would watch what she does, learn from her, so that's definitely a big change. She graduated, she's gone, so it's my turn to step up as the lead setter and set that role for Monica (Stauber).


How is the comradery on the team and how is the season going so far?

The comradery is really good, our chemistry is working really well and everybody blended in really smoothly, and I like our team just the way it is, with everybody new, as many as there are, they all blended in really smoothly.


What are you hoping to achieve personally this season?

I'm working on becoming the best setter that I could possibly be, working on my leadership role, being more vocal, and just trying to run the team as best as I can.


What are your earliest memories of volleyball?

My earliest memories of playing volleyball would be staying in the gym all day with my uncle, just running around, touching the volleyball, trying to learn everything I could in one day, just being so little running around the gym is the earliest memory.


What is your favorite part about playing volleyball?

My favorite part would be that moment after a really good play when everyone gets together and celebrates that one point. And just everybody put in so much work into that one play, and we all come together and celebrate, that's my favorite part.


Off the court what is your favorite thing to do?

My favorite thing to do would be watching movies, and just relaxing, hanging out with friends, and having a laugh with friends.


What is your biggest athletic thrill?

My biggest athletic thrill would probably be the first time I stepped on the court in the Stan Sheriff Center. Just so many fans, thousands of fans just watching this one team. It was just a huge thrill for me.


What's one rule you would change about volleyball?

It would be the net violation, maybe. I know the club rule is that you can touch it anywhere but the top of the tape, that would make it easier I guess.


What is your major and your career goals?

Right now I'm undecided but I'm looking into family resources or psychology, just something that will help other people, that's where my passion is.


What is one thing you can't live without?

I can't live without my family. They're always there for support, they're always there to talk to, and to hang out with. They're just my best friends so I can't live without my family.


What's one place in the world you've never been to but would like to visit?

I'd like to visit Samoa because that's where my family is from and that's where my parents grew up and I would just like to experience what they went through and how they lived their childhood in their early teen years.


What's one thing about yourself that people would be surprised to know?

I'm really afraid of the dark and I can't sleep without something to hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment