Saturday, March 24, 2012

Q&A with Louisville's Peyton Siva


Louisville junior guard Peyton Siva knows he’s up against a quick guard today in Erving Walker. (Photo by The Associated Press)
By Kevin Brockway
Staff writer
Published: Friday, March 23, 2012 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 12:09 a.m.

Five questions with Louisville junior point guard Peyton Siva

Q: I know Louisville is a national program, but how does a kid from Seattle end up at Louisville?

A: Actually one of my high school teammates growing up, Terrence Williams, went to Louisville. I knew him since I was growing up and I always looked up to him. He told me how he loved it, so I watched a couple of their games and I just loved their up-tempo pace. How Coach (Rick) Pitino loves to run, press, get after it. I just felt that was the best fit for me.

Q:Anything that people don’t know about Coach Pitino that’s kind of different or surprising?

A: Coach P, what you see is what you get. On the court, he’s a lot different than off the court. On the court, it’s all business. He wants to win, he’s going to do anything it takes to win. He’ll yell at you, get after you. Off the court, he’s the nicest man ever. He takes his time out to say hello to all of my family members when they come down. He shows our team a good time, takes us out to eat as a team. He’s just a great coach, somebody great to be around.

Q: Coach Pitino once dressed Billy Donovan up with a hat and spurs and put him in front of a media guide. If he approached you and said you’re Peyton the Kid or Billy the Kid, would you be up for that?

A: What I learned, I’ll do whatever Coach P wants me to do. If he told me to put a tutu on in front of ESPN, I’d do that. I trust my coach and I know he won’t put me in bad situations.

Q: How do you view your matchup with Erving Walker?
A: He’s a fast guard. I’ve known about him since I was in sixth grade, since he played in AAU, a New York guard who was quick and can shoot the ball. I look forward to it.

Q: How would you describe how the season has gone for you, I know it was a season that started with high expectations?

A: It was tough because at the beginning of the season, I was hurt. I started out with a concussion, so that kept me out for a couple of weeks and right when I came back I twisted my ankle. I had a six- to eight-week ankle sprain, and it was worse than that with a deep bone bruise also with the swelling. I came back a little early and when I first came back it was tough, just trying to move around. ... Now that it’s getting healthier, it’s really been helping me out a lot. Coach P has told me not to worry about any expectations, just to go out there and play, and I think that’s helped me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment