Saturday, March 10, 2012

BYU football: Vea gives back senior memorabilia, ready to play one more year

When the BYU football team handed out the traditional blankets to the seniors in an emotional ceremony after the final home game against New Mexico State on Nov. 19, 2011, defensive lineman Simote Vea was one of the players honored.

For the first time that Cougar head coach Bronco Mendenhall could remember, however, that blanket — along with other senior gifts — had to be “repossessed.”

“I found out at the senior banquet, so all of his senior gifts were there,” Mendenhall said. “Someone told me he had a chance for another year, so I didn’t know what to do. We gave him the stuff and he gave it right back. We verified it the next day, so we just have everything in storage for him next year.”

Vea explained that it was an unusual situation because he wasn’t sure about whether he would get an extra year of eligibility.

“I felt like it was all over, but then I was awarded another year,” he said. “I’m just enjoying the time I have. I was told I might get that back, so I never really took everything in.”

He laughed as he recalled having to return the items including the blanket.

“It’s kind of funny because we thought I was done,” he said. “I’ll be happy to be getting it back (at the end of the 2012 season). I think it will probably be the same one.”

Vea explained that he’s excited to have the extra year of eligibility and to be back playing football for BYU.

“I’m just trying to absorb it and take it all in,” the senior said. “Not too many people get an extra year like this, so I’m just trying to do my best and help contribute.”

He and the rest of the Cougar players just wrapped up the first week of spring practices, and Vea likes what he is seeing.

“I feel like we picked up pretty much where we left off,” he said. “There has been a lot of intensity. Everyone is trying to win and sometimes that gets the best of us. We also have some new guys that are learning and trying to get better.”

He thinks he’s going to appreciate every moment he has since he has this extra opportunity.

“This being my fourth year, you’ve gone through everything,” Vea said. “I feel like I’ve been getting better every year, so I hope I can help my teammates out on the field or in any way that I can.”

An economics major from Hawaii, Vea said that when this season is done he will look at possibly going back to the islands and working in business.

“Ideally I’d like to get back there, but I don’t know when,” he said. “Now I’m just going to enjoy football."

No comments:

Post a Comment