Saturday, April 21, 2012
Dolphins Koa Misi pleads not guilty Linebacker arrested last month
Miami Dolphins linebacker Koa Misi appeared in a Santa Barbara, California court on Friday to plead not guilty to felony charges that included battery and residential burglary.
Misi was arrested at his Weston home in March, nearly a year after the alleged crimes occurred during an incident outside an apartment in the California coastal town.
According to Misi's attorney, Adam Braun, the player was walking with friends when several people on an apartment balcony began shouting at the group. Braun said that threats and vulgarities were aimed at Misi's group, which included two women, prompting the 25-year-old to confront the party on the balcony.
Witnesses say the linebacker punched through the wooden door of the apartment and then hit a 19-year-old in the eye.
A warrant for Misi's arrest was issued after the incident but it took nearly a year to track him down despite the former University of Utah football star being a 2010 Dolphins draft pick.
Braun said that his client is eager to tell his side of the story but that now was not the time.
Misi was released on $10,000 bail and a preliminary hearing is set for May 31.