Saturday, August 25, 2012

Training Tips from Troy Polamalu


August 21, 2012


Troy Polamalu, member of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the 2012 NFL Defensive Player of the Year and LYFE Kitchen ambassador, reported to training camp at Saint Vincent College July 25 to prepare for the upcoming football season. On and off the field, Troy is well known for his thoughtful and passionate commitment to wellness in mind, body and soul. Troy gives us some insight on his training regimen and provides advice for those starting their own preseason sports camps and practices:
How do you prepare mentally and physically for training camp?
Playing professional sports, it’s important to eat healthy and take care of your body. In the off season, rest is really important to me. I also follow a unique training regime under the guidance of trainer Marv Marinovich. I focus on agility and coordination to build faster muscles opposed to the conventional way of gaining strength by lifting heavy weights.
What is your favorite post-practice meal or snack
After a training camp workout, my body is eager to replace nutrients and energy that are lost during the workout. It’s best to have a quick bite about 30 minutes after practice. I like to have yogurt and granola, the combination of carbs and protein helps me recover after a long and tiring workout.
Do you have any advice for kids and teens practicing and preparing for their sports seasons?
No skipping meals and drink lots of water. If you don’t eat right as an athlete, you’ll get tired and won’t be as sharp. It’s simple to drink sodas and sports drinks, but water is the most essential drink to put in your body.
What is your go-to food to give you energy?
Lots of fruits and veggies. Anything green, especially kale. I love to create this green juice shake made from kale, spinach, cucumber and wheat grass. The nutrients in the juice help me recover after a tough workout. The Kale Banana Smoothie at LYFE Kitchen is very similar to my recipe and is fantastic. You can get the recipe here:http://bit.ly/OjmJzD
What keeps you motivated during training camp and the regular football season?
My family is very important to me and the fans mean so much. I wouldn’t be able to do what I do without their support.


Check out this video from Troy’s trip up to LYFE Kitchen in Palo Alto, CA: http://bit.ly/OVafhD

1 comment:

  1. If you are as passionate about your sport as I am about mine, then maybe you should consider starting a blog. Starting a sports blog is much easier than you might think. Let me walk you through the steps.

    Sports Blog

    ReplyDelete