Monday, June 18, 2012

Troy Polamalu facing his own football mortality


6/10/2012 8:18:46 PM Share on email

Troy Polamalu turned 31 in April and will be playing in his 10th NFL season. Polamalu broke personal tradition to attend organized team activities this spring, working around his training schedule with Marv Marinovich (Todd’s father) in California because he sensed he was needed.

“More than any other year, the face of this franchise has changed,” Polamalu told Joe Starkey of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “We lost a lot of great leadership.”

Polamalu relaizes he is in the twilight of his career and the end could come soon.

“I’ve never thought about the end of my career. I’ve had this growing motto in my life to live day to day — and when you live day to day, it’s hard to talk years.”

Even with that Polamalu knows the dangers he faces on the football field.

“People are paralyzed on a football field. People die,” Polamalu said. “You just never know when it’s going to be your last moment. I was the kind of guy who would never talk to my wife on game day. Now I’m the guy who’s like, ‘I love you.’ I want my children to know I love them because I don’t know what’s going to happen out there. I’m not trying to play the martyr here. I love football. It’s something we choose to do. We all know how much of a gamble it is to play this game.”

No comments:

Post a Comment