Thursday, February 3, 2011

Five Grant Pacers sign athletic football scholarships


 Ryan Yamamoto     Last updated 8 hrs ago    Posted: 2/2/2011
SACRAMENTO, CA - Five players from the Grant High Pacers signed athletic football scholarships on National Signing Day Wednesday morning.
Defensive lineman Vei Moala and Puka Lopa signed with Cal where both will have a chance to start as true freshman with the Golden Bears.
"As of right now I am their only nose guard," Moala told News10. "They told me, right when I come in they are going to throw me into the fire and hopefully I survive."
"This is a very emotional day for me and my family," said Lopa. "Hopefully I get my degree. It (Cal) just feels like home, their education is the top in the nation."
Safety James Sample will also have the opportunity to start as a true freshman for Washington. Sample said he was impressed with Head Coach Steve Sarkisian and his staff.
"I wanted to be in an enviroment where people get excited everytime you make a play, even if it is a little play," said Sample.
Sample will have a Pacer teammate as a his rival. Tight end Darryl Paulo signed with the Cougars and described the day as emotional.
"I'm excited and sad at the sametime," Paulo said. "But it is a happy time for me because I am going where I wanted to be since I was you and play college football."
But the most emotional Pacer may have been Offensive lineman Filpo Sau who will play for Snow College in Utah which is a feeder school for division one.
"Tears of joy, a lot of hard work for me and my family towards my education, "said Sau. "My family is proud of me that I'm going to a four year university, I will be the first person in my family."

No comments:

Post a Comment